Old August 23rd 03, 06:05 AM
gw

(M. G. Devour) wrote in message om...
Leland wrote:
One machine I can get into only
using around 100 to 500 milliwatts of power from
10 miles out because the antenna is at 500 feet on
top of a tall building in downtown Detroit.

Ahh, the Edison 2m, Leland? I know that machine. grin

So assuming that two watts isn't going to cause a
problem is total nonsense. I can garantee you that
it will if you're not carefull.

I've been scanning with the Talkabout and hear some activity on the
repeater frequencies. It sounds like commercial stuff, possibly a
security service or some maintenance people, on 2 or 3 different
channels.

Being right in the "big city" I suspect they might be some of those
famous "grandfathered" commercial systems that were in place before
1987 and the creation of the GMRS.

I've told the (teenage) kids we'll just be using the 7 FRS-only
channels for now, and explained why. Since these radios are in part a
stopgap until they get their technician licenses, I expect I'll be
able to trust them.

As I read the rules, as long as we don't use any of the channels on
these radios that are shared or assigned to the GMRS we'll be legal to
use them as FRS radios. Whether we will bother to license for the sake
of using the GMRS simplex channels or not I haven't decided yet.

Be well,

Mike D.

hey mike.., lelnad hangs out on those freqs because he can't talk on
any of the others doncha know.......kind of has a problem learning the
code and is in favor of dropping that requirement.........for whatever
reason...actually he is just a ****ant.......and thinks he runs
something but all he runs is just his mouth.......he always is on
here bragging about this and that, but i have found that people that
do that are small minded twits with no grey matter.........so pay him
no mind and do what you want......but whatever you do , do not tell
him where you live or he will without a doubt try and rat you out for
whatever purpose,.........because he is that kind of a guy doncha
know......just a thought...also be advised that he does not live at
the address he told the fcc on his cb plusser license......he
lied.....it is a common trait in the scott family doncha