Old August 24th 03, 02:32 PM
Keith Hosman

"Leland C. Scott" wrote in message

| "MnMikew" wrote in message
| ..
| .
| I dont think your two-watt radios will be much
| interference for repeaters
| unless your right on top of one.
|
| You don't think because you don't know. I can tell
| you from experience that I have used repeaters on
| both the Ham 2m and 70cm bands from 5 to 15 miles
| out using nothing more that a few watts from a
| hand-held radio. The Ham 70cm band (430 to 450
| MHz) sits right below the frequencies used by GMRS
| (462 to 467 MHz), and thus the propagation is very
| much the same. One machine I can get into only
| using around 100 to 500 milliwatts of power from
| 10 miles out because the antenna is at 500 feet on
| top of a tall building in down town Detroit.
|
| So assuming that two watts isn't going to cause a
| problem is total nonsense. I can garantee you that
| it will if you're not carefull.
|

| --
| Leland C. Scott
| KC8LDO

My 200 mW HT would get me into the 147.195 machine in Wauseon (about 18
miles) and the 147.315 machine down by Holgate (about 15 miles) from my
bedroom in McClure with the original antenna (which was a joke). This same
radio after moving to Napoleon would get me into the 147.375 machine in
Toledo (about 40 miles) used by NWOH ARES for SKYWARN net when hooked to a
"Super J-Pole" antenna at 45 ft above ground.

73 de Keith

--
KC8TCQ
ARRL Member - ARES