Old March 15th 04, 11:46 AM
Dave

"thatcher" wrote in message
I bought a ELK log periodic dual band antenna. VHF/UHF 5 elements.

What are some good DFing techniques?

follow the signal

How much distance should be between my body and the antenna?

as much as you can get

This ELK antenna is fed near the reflector. Whats up with that?

a log periodic doesn't have a 'reflector' as such. every element is fed.

It says it has 20 db of front to back but I sure can't see too much
difference while pointing and not pointing at repeaters.

it will depend a lot on what is around you , the frequency, polarization,
etc. it is likely that if you are not careful you will measure lots of
reflections, especially if you have a strong source that is probably at a
high location.

Where is a good place to get attenutors.

a radio store.

Should I have bought a different antenna for DFing?

depends on what you want to df.