Old August 6th 03, 07:30 PM
Tim Conway

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 08:14:22 -0500, Richard Harrison wrote:
the Belden cable. This is 1.414 X the rms volts. No need to speculate.
Coax tables abound. One is found in the ARRL Antenna Book.

Good point - If I can get a dos or windows system up and running, I'll
model it with that magloop4.exe program. Regardless, I'd intended to pull
the center conductor back a half inch or so after stripping the cable to
the insulator. I actually intend to use rg-58 - smaller, lighter, and can
set the outer conductor closer to the center, for (I hope) higher
capacitance. I'm now considering mounting the sides of the cap to the
hula hoop with the hoop actually split there, so the hoop is stretched and
compressed as the capacitance is changed, to avoid tight flexure of
conductors or sliding contacts.

My biggest concern is dialectric puncture. I'll be running a maximum of
5W.

tim