Old March 15th 04, 08:22 PM
Cecil Moore

Jeremy Salch wrote:
I'm not sure i understand what you mean by a top-hat?
Do you thing something like this could be used with the body of the
scredriver antenna mounted horizontally on top of the rv and the Top hat
mounted close but seperately, making the antenna basically flush with the
top of the rv ? If that makes any sense.

It would look something like this with a four foot slanted bottom
section:

6'x14' hardward cloth top hat
+---screwdriver coil---+---================================
/ X X X
4' / X X non-conductive supports X
___/_____X______________________X_____________________ _____________X
Top of RV

The highest current would be flowing through the 4' slanted section
which is good. That four foot figure is arbitrary. Make it as tall
as is feasible. If it were me, and the top of the RV is 'z' ft. from
the ground, I would make the base as long as is legal, but that's
just me.

This is similar to a $20 junk box antenna with which I tied a 75m CA
shootout for top honors against top-of-the-line (expensive) bugcatcatchers
and screwdrivers. My loading coil and top hat were horizontal, as above.
My base was an 8 foot whip slanting from my trailer hitch up to an
elevation of about 12 feet above ground.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp