Old September 16th 03, 01:21 AM
jim

GMpartsguy wrote:
Obviously, those who could make it to a staircase did. Those planes tore up
6 floors when they banked going in. Not everyone was lucky enough to be able
to make it to access down. I wasnt trying to be absolutely perfect in my
reply, just explaining. Jet A and diesel burn pretty much the same, i was
using it for example only (i will be anal retentive and explain things
excessively next time), sorry for that too. As for the crossmembers, look
again. The "crossmembers" that tied the inner core with the outer
exoskeleton, were the floor joists that ran all around the core and were
tied with just a couple or few bolts on each end. And even those were only
1/2" or 5/8" bolts. When the floor joists sagged, the bolts were ripped
apart by tension. Those bolts were never intended for tension, just shear.
Thats when the outer exoskeleton buckled, and the collapse began.
Unique is right too Jim. They dont build em' like that anymore. And i bet
they never will again either ;)

i was making the statement about the exoskeleton based on the excellant
ken burns program that recently aired about the wtc. my bad...
please dont get into too much detail, ever see the posts about coax
length :0
no they dont build 'em like that anymore. the tub was brilliant as it
held back the hudson. now its green engineering.