Old March 17th 04, 03:46 AM
Cecil Moore

Old Ed wrote:
1. At what elevation angle X does the monopole show the highest gain,
and what is that gain?

Already answered. If I remember right, it was 0 dBi at 26 degrees.

2. What is the "average" gain of the dipole, at elevation angle X, taken
over the full 360 degrees of azimuth, at one-degree increments?

Please define "average" gain. The reason for using a higher gain antenna
is to increase the gain above an "average" monopole. How about if I just
post the radiation pattern on my web page?

I know where I want to QSO to so I turn my 130' dipole broadside to AZ.

3. If you're still on board with all this, it would also be interesting to
know what happens to the elevation angle and gain of the monopole
if the number of radials is kicked up to a large number, like 64.

It no doubt, goes up. 8 is all I ever installed. Seems to me a waste of
effort to use 32 times the copper that it takes for a dipole and still
not have the gain of a dipole. Incidentally, my 20m-10m dipole is rotatable.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp