Old March 18th 04, 12:03 PM
Paul Burridge

On 17 Mar 2004 12:02:15 -0800, (John Michael
Williams) wrote:

So, first conclusion: To get even a 1 V spark would take a
wire at least 9 m long, all somehow kept within 1 m of the
transmitter. Thus, it appears it is not feasible to create a
hazardous spark with a CB at a gas station.

I'm not entirely surprised. When CB first took off in the UK about 25
years ago some bright spark (no pun intended) discovered that the then
petrol pump meters could be slowed down by keying-up whilst filling up
and you could get a tank full of juice for a fraction of the price. As
soon as the petrol companies cottoned on to this they put around the
scare story about CBers risking explosions by making use of this scam.
I never bought it, partly because | have a big static problem and
during very dry days I get a massive spark discharge upon closing the
car door. This invariably happens at petrol stations, of course, as it
does everywhere else. I've never been blown up yet.
--

The BBC: Licensed at public expense to spread lies.