Old March 18th 04, 07:14 PM
Guy Macon

N. Thornton says...

Another question concerns spillage of gas: if youre yacking away its
much easier to spill fuel. I cant draw any conclusions but one has to
at least look at these factors.

Considering how many people refuel their cars each year and the
statistics for refueling fires (150 over the last 10 years) I
draw the conclusion that this isn't a significant problem. At
roughly 50,000 traffic fatalities per year, you are in much more
danger driving to and from the gas station.

As far as talking on your cell phone while driving goes, there is this...

|"Simons and Chabris showed participants a film of two basketball
|teams, one wearing black shirts and the other wearing white.
|These displays were created such that all of the actors were
|partially transparent and thus could simultaneously occupy
|the same locations.
|
|The researchers instructed participants to count how many times
|a basketball passed between members of one team, ignoring the
|other team. Just as Neisser had found two decades earlier,
|many participants didn't notice a woman who walked through
|the scene carrying an open umbrella, even though the woman
|was present for several seconds.
|
|Although Neisser's original findings were striking, they
|stimulated little further research - perhaps in part because
|the results were difficult to incorporate into the mainstream
|science of the time, suggests Ron Rensink, PhD, a psychologist
|and computer scientist at the University of British Columbia.

|'Back then, there was still a strong belief that we built

Source: http://home.att.net/~jeff.dean/blind.htm

--
Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager for hire.
Remember Doc Brown from the _Back to the Future_ movies? Do you