Old March 19th 04, 02:49 PM
Harv Nelson

Jim Volstad wrote:
I am planning a vertical antenna in my back yard and was wondering if there
is a product that will allow me to have a SO-239 to SO-239 connection
through the house wall?

Jim Volstad
WA0TRY

Method #1

I do it with a piece of 2 1/2 inch PVC tubing. Cut a whole in the wall
where you want it to pass (look out for the studs!). Cut a piece of
pipe of suitable length for your wall ... glue a "street el" or 90 on
one end. This will serve to keep water out of the pipe ... point the
open end down. Push the pipe thru the wall. Use some caulking to seal
the damage and tighten it up (it'll dry tight in a couple days).

On the inside you can use a variety of decorative "floor rings/plates" ,
some more caulk, and some paint.

Once you have your coax cables in the pipe, you can fill the void with a
rag, and putty or kids plastic clay. That'll keep out the bugs, mice
and chipmunks. Don't use that spray foam sealant ... its a bitch to
remove later, when you want to put in another line. If you leave a tiny
end of the rag exposed, all it takes is a little tug and most of the
putty or clay will come out with the rag.

It sounds ugly ... but done correctly, its less work and less visable
than many other schemes.

Method #2

This method requires two pieces of lumber 3/4" thick 4-5" wide and long
enough to fit in a window where the sash is raised. On the edge of each
piece of wood, cut a notch for each piece of coax about the length
and width of your thumb. Put one hunk of wood in the window well ...
notches up. Lay in your coax lines in the notches. Place the other hunk
of wood over the coax, notches down. Push the window back down to hold
the wood in place. Use some plastic and tape to keep the weather and
bugs out at the top of the window.

After you make the first set, you'll see how to make the second set so
that its a nearly perfect seal around the coax. A little caulk or
silicone seal will tighten the whole works up.

Its cheap, and unlike method #1, above, there is no structural damage,
or repairs to make when you want to sell the house ... or get your
renter's deposit back.

Harv, AI9NL