Old August 7th 03, 03:53 PM
Voice In Wilderness

For horizontal antennas -- the radiation angle becomes lower as the height
of the antenna increases and vice versa (with caveats)
A layman's explanation at URL:
http://www.signalengineering.com/ult...radiation.html

Excuse the CB reference -- but it has some nice pictorials.

Those mathematically inclined can model antennas at URL:
http://www.eznec.com/

"Jeffdeham" wrote in message
om...
W5DXP wrote in message

Kristinn Andersen wrote:
Any comments, anyone, before I remove the vertical and turn to another
design?

I spent considerable time and effort erecting a 33ft vertical 40m
antenna with 8 elevated radials at 20ft. Average signal strengths were
about 2 S-units below a dipole and the noise level was about 2 S-units
higher than the dipole. At my QTH, it was a dog.

I had exactly the opposite results. It was 2-3 S units better at low
angles of radiation compared to my low dipole. I've heard other
experiences like this too. I just wonder if there some part of antenna
theory that's missing that could explain why that happens. Murphy's
law, blind luck, who knows. 8-)

73!

Jeff