Old March 20th 04, 03:09 AM
John

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
In article , John

wrote:

Actually, Title 47, Part 15, specifically allows unlicensed intentional
emissions. For example, in the AM broadcast band:

#snip#

This is only an example. Most of the spectrum is available for unlicensed
operation at low power, with some frequencies having higher emission

limits
than others. Therefore, intentional unlicensed emissions are allowed by

US
regulations. Read Part 15.

True. However, Part 15 also states:

(b) Operation of an intentional, unintentional, or incidental
radiator is subject to the conditions that no harmful interference is
caused and that interference must be accepted that may be caused by
the operation of an authorized radio station, by another intentional
or unintentional radiator, by industrial, scientific and medical
(ISM) equipment, or by an incidental radiator.

(c) The operator of a radio frequency device shall be required to
cease operating the device upon notification by a Commission
representative that the device is causing harmful interference.
Operation shall not resume until the condition causing the harmful
interference has been corrected.

It seems to me that the "no harmful interference" clause would
put cellphone jammers outside the bounds of operation under Part 15.

No argument from me on that point. I was merely addressing the broad
statement that transmitting in the US on any frequency without a license is
not permitted. I was not implying that is okay to interfere with cellular
operation or, for that matter, any other service.

John