Old January 18th 05, 02:57 AM

'Doc wrote:
Mike,
A 'long wire' (really a 'random wire', but that's being
picky) can have an input impedance all over the place depending
on the frequency of use. Most receivers just aren't too
picky about it, so try it and see what you get in reception.
You can always experiment with antenna length or matching
systems to improve things, but in most cases, they aren't
going to make a lot of difference.
'Doc

Ive been reading up a bit more (and I see what you mean...Im not sure
the missus would be keen on a real long wire in the backyard!) and I
think Ill play around with some DIY antenna tuners to see whats what. I
was mainly concerned with signal loss due to load mismatch if I use coax
to get the signal into the basement for the wire.
thanks again
Mike