Old March 23rd 04, 08:16 AM
Richard Clark

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 21:51:26 -0600 (CST),
(Richard Harrison) wrote:

Richard Fry wrote:
"Please explain the reason why the bandwidth characteristics needed to
generate a single transistion from one DC level to another is different
than when repeating that same transition any number of times before or
after."

Hi Richard (KB5WZI),

I liked your Hollow state reference, and it exposes how inordinately
complex such a topic becomes (what has it got to do with antennas
anyway? The ennui of bored continentals...). For decades, equipment
has subsisted quite well with the 1/10/100 KC XTAL marker generator
that pushed harmonics out through to the 10M band. Even simpler is a
Zener operating at its knee region of conduction with the entire
bandwidth awash in its wall-to-wall RF trash. Even the NE-2 does as
well. Tarting it up with poor illustrations of Fourier math (which
are actually FFTs) serves no better application.

Gee fellows, if we must ponder this math try analyzing a Chirp
function, or a ramp, or sawtooth, or sweep, or a damped sine. I think
the square wave and variants has been suitably covered. Try a 359
degree sine wave and discover the trash it leaves behind.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC