Old March 23rd 04, 09:58 AM
loopfan

Hi Richard,

Wow - thanks for the feedback!

First off, I have totally removed the section about using twin-lead.
You are right, there is really no need for it considering the low
coaxial feedline cable loss at HF. I think I got tunnel-visioned on
some freak setup I found by accident.

How you did this is missing. If it was done in parallel with this
twin-lead, then you have what is called a ground loop, you shorted out
the choke. Again (with that "if") I won't ask why.

Yes, that is exactly what I did. Shorted choke - not good!

As for the other material on your page about wire size, you need some
real data instead of those qualitative statements. I will repeat some
that I posted he

Great stuff - I need to go back in and take away some of the more
misleading and/or subjective statements.

By the way, flat strips are NOT better as substitutes for conductor
mass. If you must use aluminum-foil, wrap it around a hula hoop for
the round conductor shape that is much MORE efficient. You might want

Ah, ok, so a round mass (pipe,tubing etc) is more efficient than a flat
strip even though they seem to share the same area? (ie a 6-inch wide
strip compared to a 3-inch diameter pipe) Is it kind of a shape vs. area
thing, assuming things like loss resistance are the same?

rapidly on the unwaxed side (did you know there are two different
sides?). Needless to say, the waxed side isn't particularly

I did not know that! I just thought the somewhat dull side was just due
to manufacturing and not due to wax. Geez, the more I learn the less I
know ....

Thanks again for your help - its most appreciated.

73 de WN6F
Brian