Old March 26th 04, 04:08 AM
Crazy George

Well, 5 volts is a little higher than I would apply to a precision
attenuator (E squared /R = W) = 1/2 watt, which is a little tough on that
input quarter watt resistor.

First, terminate the output in 50 ohms. Then the input will read 50 ohms at
any setting. If it doesn't, you've got problems.

Otherwise, yes, 1 volt in, and calculate the output voltage (across 50
ohms!) for each dB step.

Personally, I use a network analyzer at the top rated frequency of the
attenuator and let the cal lab keep it calibrated.

--
Crazy George
Remove N O and S P A M imbedded in return address
"Ken" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 01:02:41 GMT, "Harold E. Johnson"
The 355's are a piece of cake. You can do it with DC and a voltmeter.

Hmmm. I tried it with an ohmmeter and didn't get what I expected.
Resistance increased to around 100 ohms and stayed there from around
60 dB up.

So, if I put 5VDC across one center pin and ground, I should be
reading voltages to ground at the other pin that correspond to the dB
setting on the dial?

Ken KC2JDY

Ken
(to reply via email