Old March 26th 04, 05:41 AM
Jack Painter

"Paul" wrote in message
om...
Hello, I am looking to put up my first HF antenna. I have considered a
trap dipople in the attic, but seeing this is a one story house and
only 25 feet long it would only be about 15 feet off the ground and
more trap than radiator. I have also considered a mass produced
verticle to go on the existing tripod on the roof, but as I am
currently on medical leave it is not in the budget. My plan is to run
an approximately 80 foot wire from the existing tripod on top of the
house length wise accross the backyard to either a pole erected at the
fence line, or a tree on the other side of the fence line. My question
would be, can I feed this wire from 50 ohm coax at the house end? What
kind of matching network would be needed at the antenna? Would a
matching network be needed at the antenna, or can I use an antenna
tuner in the shack only? I am trying to avoid a center fed dipole, as
I would require a center strain relief pole in the center of the back
yard. This is a city lot, were the property is longer than it is wide.
Also, would a counterpoise be needed, and can you explain to me what a
counterpoise is, what it is made of, and it's purpose? Any suggestions
appreciated. Any pointing to further info is appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul

Paul,

If the reason you are really "trying to avoid a center-fed dipole" is
because you would need a strain relief pole in the middle, check your
premises. They are incorrect. You do not need any such strain relief pole. A
good high strength (5/16") dacron line with standing rigging at both ends
will hold any 1kw rated Balun nearly horizontal between two points much
farther than you have to reach. The line is the stain relief so the wire
antennas feel only their own weight. The dacron carries weight of the Balun
and the feedline hanging underneath it.

Tuning a randon wire will be a decent compromise unless a specific band or
frequency is your target, where the dipole, although directional, would
outperform it.

Jack
Virginia Beach