Old March 27th 04, 12:13 AM
Tdonaly

Cecil wrote,

Tdonaly wrote:
Cecil should read before he thinks.

Tom, why do you require 6 decimal point precision out
of a ballpark rule-of-thumb estimate? The maximum reactance
point of a thin-wire dipole is in the neighborhood of the maximum
reactance point of the SWR circle as proved by the graphs in the
ARRL Antenna Book CD.
The maximum reactance is approximately equal
to 1/2 the maximum resistance. The resistance at the maximum reactance
point is approximately equal to 1/2 the maximum resistance. If someone
carries those ballpark concepts around in his head, he will be
reasonably close to reality. It's all cut-and-try after that.

Cecil, I know you have the Balanis book and that you even took a course
from the great man, himself. You can crack the book and look at the
curves as well as anyone can. You can also read the rest of the
explanation, and, with a lot of work, puzzle it out and improve your
understanding so you don't have to rely on rules of thumb that get you
into arguments like this.

Exactly what agenda forces you to sacrifice your reputation trying to
find some unusual esoteric exception to my statements? (Never mind,
I already know the answer.)

I don't have a reputation. If I did it wouldn't mean anything to me anyway.
Balanis is hardly an "unusual esoteric exception." If you think I have an
"agenda" you're letting your paranoia get the better of you. (No, I'm not
looking for a job on Kerry's campaign committee.)

--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH