Old March 28th 04, 07:39 PM
Dave Platt

Why would you do that? Solid has less loss. If you are worried about it
flexing too much and work-hardening (or breaking) the center conductor, use a
strain relief of shrink sleeving at both ends.

To my mind, the stiffer the cable, the more stress it's going to put
on the HT's SMA jack. Stiffening the cable via heatshrink tubing is
only going to make this worse, by increasing the moment arm.

SMA jacks on some HTs (e.g. the VX-5) are rather notorious for working
loose, even under the modest stress and strain of a rubber-duck
antenna. IMHO, SMA is a fine connector for intra-cabinet connections
and fixed-station applications, but it's less than ideal for antenna
connections on handhelds.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO