Old March 29th 04, 03:38 AM
H. Adam Stevens

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Dave Shrader wrote:

snip for brevity, not for slight

Heh, heh, Dave, I think you just proved my point. :-) If you had no time
or budget constraints, would you ever be 100% satisfied with any design?
I wouldn't.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Neither has Porsche been satisfied.
I offer as evidence the 911. My new C4S is better than my last C4.
So, when is somebody going to make a receiver better than my 75S3B?
73
H.

OB On antennas.
Bought a couple of the Hi-Q motorized babies, the little one and the BIG
(160) one.
Really beautiful work. Art, really. Just gorgeous. But.
The little one shows 33 ohms at resonance on 20.
Returning the BB3 to the Durango, I measure 9 ohms.
hmmmm...
A little checking and, yup, ~10db better with the BB3. ON 20!!
On the Vintage Side Band net today, my ~100 watt S-Line and the BiggIR on
the aluminum roof compared well with the Nott BB3 and the 200 watt TS480 in
the truck. I'm using a toroidal autoformer to match the 9 ohms giving ~50
ohms at resonance.
The Tarheel is about -6db from the Nott. It's a 20 ohm load on 20.
ON 20!!
Not on 80. They're comparable there; Coil losses dominate. The Tarheel is
better built I think.
Amazing what 10x more conduction electrons will do (The Nott's COPPER).
OTOH this configuration I have is 80 - 20 only.

This is all on 20 meters, mind you.
The impedance measurements......
I keep saying that.......

On 80 and 160 (duh) the Hi-Q should win, while the Tarheel on 80 offers the
easiest automation.
I think a 4" diameter screwdriver, oops, that was the first 160 DXCC wasn't
it?

Nobody builds everything I want.
Oh well
73 all