Old March 30th 04, 06:04 AM
Tom Bruhns

(Tom Bruhns) wrote in message om...
o In other words, the SWR circles are useless
for finding the maximum-reactance point on
the impedance curve.

And indeed, why would we look for a reactance arc tangent to an SWR
circle which passes through the maximum-reactance point on the antenna
impedance versus frequency curve, when we already know that
max-reactance point, and know it's at a point on the antenna impedance
curve which is tangent to that reactance arc? Why go looking for a
point that's a rough approximation to what we want when we already
have just what we want?

HOWEVER, for some understanding of why the antenna impedance versus
frequency function has the shape it does, I highly recommend Joseph
Boyer's "Antenna-Transmission Line Analog" articles in, um, March and
April or April and May 1978 "Ham Radio" magazine. I suppose that set
of articles hits really close to what Reg wrote in this thread a while
ago that probably went zinging over the heads of many, and seemed to
be ignored by the target audience... I've been known to supply copies
of those articles to folk who can't find them locally.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled obfuscation.