Old January 22nd 04, 07:40 AM
Brainbuster

Twistedhed wrote in message

My HF cb g was made in Tennessee,,,,Tentec.

I'll betcha the UK is prime for the cb/hammie rig for unlicensed
ops....heck, I talk to plenty of Limeys with great radios..very similar
to what many of us pay with here,,American made 40 channels....hmmmm!

The "illegal" radios have never really stopped coming over here... plenty
are about.
As the manufacturers got wise, they marketed them as "Amateur" radios,
knowing where the true market lies - CBers. The smarter "freebanders" got
wise and started buying them. At the price, they were better than the old
butchered 148GTL-DX radios floating about.
The Gov. got wise, and made them illegal but, finding that only stopped them
getting taxes from the "under-the-counter" sales, they did a u-turn.
On top of that, to make the systems cheaper, PLLs were designed to be
capable of any CB standard so that one IC could be mass produced. This
means that some legal UK sets can now be opened up as never before.

Yep, freebanders heaven. Shame it is not helping any UK manufacturers.

My asbestos suit is now on.

Peter.