Old April 2nd 04, 04:07 AM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Roy Lewallen wrote:

Quite a few years ago, there were a couple of articles -- in Ham Radio
magazine, I believe --, which addressed that topic. As I recall, the
author used an optimization program that allowed the shape to vary. He
ended up with elements bent kind of like a gull wing, and considerably
longer than a half wavelength -- more like a wavelength if I recall
correctly. The gain was substantially more than for a Yagi, but I don't
remember how good the F/B ratio was. I believe he did construct and
measure some actual antennas.

I think you're referring to the Landstorfer-Sacher Yagi design?

http://www.cebik.com/eb.html has some information on these. It's
something akin to an EDZ (extended double zepp) beam. A 2-meter
3-element L-S Yagi shows gain in the 9.7 dB range, with F/B ratios of
16-23.

Interesting design. Not the easiest thing in the world to construct,
I suspect.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO