Old April 2nd 04, 02:39 PM
Dave

thats likely the one. i have their book 'optimisation of wire antennas'
that derives a design that sounds like that one.

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
That name sounds familiar, so it's probably the one. Unfortunately, the
picture boxes at that web page appear blank using either IE6 or Mozilla
1.6, so I can't tell for sure. Must need some kind of plug-in to view

them.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Dave Platt wrote:

In article ,
Roy Lewallen wrote:

Quite a few years ago, there were a couple of articles -- in Ham Radio
magazine, I believe --, which addressed that topic. As I recall, the
author used an optimization program that allowed the shape to vary. He
ended up with elements bent kind of like a gull wing, and considerably
longer than a half wavelength -- more like a wavelength if I recall
correctly. The gain was substantially more than for a Yagi, but I don't
remember how good the F/B ratio was. I believe he did construct and
measure some actual antennas.

I think you're referring to the Landstorfer-Sacher Yagi design?

http://www.cebik.com/eb.html has some information on these. It's
something akin to an EDZ (extended double zepp) beam. A 2-meter
3-element L-S Yagi shows gain in the 9.7 dB range, with F/B ratios of
16-23.

Interesting design. Not the easiest thing in the world to construct,
I suspect.