Old February 4th 04, 08:09 PM
PACETRONIC SLAPPA!

(DICK HEAD) wrote in message . com...
(Zeeeeeeee3) wrote in message ...
Planning to install a base antenna as soon as things warm up and could use some
help..........

So far I have an Imax 99 antenna.
I was thinking of attaching it to the garage side of my house which is about~20
feet high at the peak.
I would take a 5' piece of antenna mast and pound it several feet into the
ground to secure the bottom and then attach 2 more 10' pieces on top of that.
The mast could be secured to the house with several of those wall mount
brackets.
How does this sound so far?

It sounds like it'll wobble, but it should hold the antenna. For best
performance, however you'll need to get the base of the antenna a
minimum of one wavelength (about 36 feet) off the ground, and I don't
recommend you use 10 foot mast sections for that.

Now I understand that it must be grounded. Would having the bottom section of
mast pounded into the ground as I mentioned suffice? or will I need to attach
it to a seperate 8' ground rod? If a seperate rod is needed, do I attach the
ground wire to the antenna mounting plate or the mast or either? Near the top
of the mast or near the bottom?

I'd use an 8 foot Ground rod installed close to the bottom of the
mast, then connect them with the largest wire (or braid) you can find.
Assuming decent connections between the mast sections you should make
the connection at the bottom of the mast. In most locations (unless
you live in a swamp) you need to go down five feet before you make a
good Ground connection anyhow.

I also have read of the need for a 'static discharge unit' for my coax. Could
anyone recommend one? Google searches are not helping me out much.

Check out Universal Radio on the web. They have those units.

Have some more questions, but this seems enough for now.
Any help would be really appreciated. I've been trying to piece information
together from the web, but still need some more help.
Thanks!

ANUSFACE ASSJUICE SLURPER, AREN'T YOU GONNA OFFER TO BLOW HIM LIKE YOU
DO THE TRUCKERS? YOU ARE SLIPPING QUEERBOY.