Old July 12th 03, 11:53 AM
W5DXP

Richard Harrison wrote:

Cecil, W5DXP wrote:
"What caused the voltage to go to zero?"

Equal and opposite voltages.

What caused the rearward-traveling current to go to zero at the
same time?

The problem is one of cause and effect. You cannot say the virtual
short causes the voltage and current wave conditions and then say
the voltage and current wave conditions causes the virtual short.

1/4-wave back from the short, a virtual open circuit appears. Cecil
claims this open circuit does not impede current.

If the virtual short causes reflections, why doesn't the virtual open
cause reflections?

1/4-wave short-circuit stubs are used as metallic insulators.

That's nice, but we are not discussing physical shorts. We are
discussing virtual shorts.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp