Old April 4th 04, 05:35 AM
John Smith

we did testing on antennas inside and on top of car, about 6 dB difference
(better outside)
for Both TX/RX. with same antenna as on cell

problem is stubby not removable, something seems mismatched,

but on many cell phones the ground is really just some of the metal parts
inside, no good "ground" at all
so the antenna is only part of the radiating area, the cell phone and your
arm the rest of the antenna.

Which means it may be hard (with a cellphone) to get RF into/outof a coax to
an outside antenna, unless it has a real connector (most do not, cost too
much, no need for it)

"Ken" wrote in message
When using one of those external, mag-mount antennas that plug into
the antenna jack just below the stubby antenna of a flip phone, it is
better to remove the stubby antenna?

On receive, I would think it makes little difference. On transmit,
however, if the stubby antenna is not removed, won't energy be wasted
on in-vehichle propagation that would be better directed to the mag
mount on the roof?

Ken KC2JDY

Ken
(to reply via email