Old August 9th 03, 01:20 AM
larry

When I first started out, in amateur radio, my antenna was a random wire
about 75 feet long. About 15 ish feet was in the basement and the wire went
though a hole drill through the window frame of the basement window. My
antenna coupler was an L network. My tansmitter was a dx-60 and receiver
was a gr-91, for the first 6 months and then a hr-10 for a few years after
that. I did quite well with that arrangement.
Larry ve3fxq

"gil" wrote in message
My antenna setup is nothing but a random wire going from a tree/ tuner/

rig
in the basement about 60-70 feet total, I know it could be better but its
all I can get away with for the moment. The ground is a rod thru the

bottom
of the sump where is always wet and I feel is good for RF, I hook the end

of
that to the back of the random wire tuner.
My concern is...the wire coming from window to tuner/rig is about 15 feet
and due to placement I cant shorten it much more,
Should I use a coax from window to rig?
Or just leave it alone?
BTW I use low power about 30-40 watts CW and the setup seems to work

fairly
well on most bands..just concerned about loss and RF inside the shack.
Any input appreciated, and thanks for reading

gil