Old April 5th 04, 01:01 AM
Al - VA3KAI

I'm not a technical expert like many on this group, but I have used a
Antennas & More TNT-Windom (OCF dipole) for a few years now both in an
inverted-vee dipole and "windom half-square" configuration up 35'
(33V'-66H'-33V') set up N-S. This TNT model has a choke balun near the
feedpoint that helps with RF on the coax.

The best set-up was the half-square which had low angle broadside gain E-W
on 40M and on some higher bands. Good 80M coverage given the height too and
excellent DX above 40M. Good matches everywhere (17M & 12M too, more
difficult on 30M, 15M and 10M) but my built-in tuner on the TS450SAT did it
all regardless. I even used an external tuner for 160M tuning - poor
performance, but okay for 400 miles around - for extra multis in contests.

I think this model is better than the Carolina Windom because the Carolina
vertical element needs to be 15' from any metal - according to a phone call
to the manufacturer. I hang from a TV tower now so the tower proximity
would interact much more the Carolina model.

This was my 2nd commercial purchase to replace a hurting G5RV and I feel it
works MUCH better than the G5RV it replaced. I still use it for 80M-40M
portable contest work.

...... va3kai

"JJ" wrote in message
I am thinking of putting up a windom antenna (see
http://www.hfantennas.com/Products.htm )and would like comments from
anyone who is using or has used one about the performance. Primay band
of interest will be 40 meters.

Thanks