Old April 5th 04, 01:46 AM
Dave Shrader

Cecil Moore wrote:
Dave Shrader wrote:

I believe that today's "Windoms" are not true Windoms!!

My 1956 ARRL Handbook says that a Windom is fed with a
single vertical wire. If an antenna with Windom dimensions
is fed with a transmission line rather than a single vertical
wire, in the 1956 ARRL Handbook, it is called an "Off Center
Fed" dipole.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

My Handbook shows the same thing. This only confirms that both of us
have been in ham radio too long!!!

My first Novice 80 CW antenna was a true Windom. W1GID, Ralph Tedford,
one of my early Elmers, installed it for me. I ran an ARC 5 transmitter
into it. Funny thing though, I kept getting tingling sensations off the
key until I lengthened the feed line about 25 feet :-)

I earned my first award with that radio and antenna: "WATV"

Deacon Dave, W1MCE for 50 years