Old February 15th 04, 05:35 PM
w_tom

Learn why 'problem' Central Offices had surge damage - the
problem COs directly traceable to bad earthing in that
building due to human failure. But then too many experts
don't even know the early 1960s history of ESS-1. How many
switching computers did your phone company replace in your
town this year - the entire computer damaged by lightning.
None. Damage not acceptable in any town, anywhere, any year
.... because electronics damage from lightning is that
routinely avoided. Lightning damage is routinely traceable to
human failure - the technology being that old and that well
proven.

Cell phone sites do have halo ground. Why? Even the world
record lightning strike must never damage an cell phone
location. And so they install more than just a copper earth
rod. In the meantime that halo ground is not why your cell
phone does not work underneath the tower.

Properly installed Ufer ground never damage concrete. Human
fails - and then blames lightning for the concrete failure?
Human is reason for failure.

Damage from direct lightning strikes - especially strikes
that might damage concrete - are always directly traceable to
human failure. Protection from the direct strike is that
routine and that easy.

Rather than lecture on reading tower talk, instead read
about effective lightning protection in tower talk - and why
damage from lightning is directly traceable to human failure.
You are quoting the wrong source if you think tower talk says
lightning damage is unavoidable:
http://lists.contesting.com/_towerta...il/004413.html
The basic scenario is to install a Single Point Ground System
that is installed at the building entry. It shunts everything
to ground before it goes in the building. If you can keep it
outside, then you don't really have to do much inside.

http://lists.contesting.com/_towerta...st/032935.html
What you're proposing to do has the makings of what is referred
to as a Ufer ground. Named for its inventor, the principle of
the Ufer ground is simple. ... according to Polyphaser's
"Grounds for Lightning Protection" publication.

http://lists.contesting.com/_towerta...er/026083.html
An Ufer ground ... this may be the ENTIRE ground system. Since
the concrete is conductive and there is lots of concrete area
in contact with the soil, it does a pretty reasonable job.

Effective protection from direct lightning strikes is
routine.

Lancer wrote:
What is a problem central office building?
The telephone companys lose hundreds of "channel unit" boards to
lightning damage every year. Most if not all boards lost are in the
remote sites, not the central office. The boards that are lost aren't
due to human faillure, they are due to the fact you cannot predict
lightning, and cannot totally protect against it.

Cell sites have a copper ring of protection around the site. I have
been in cell sites that were so totally shielded that my cell phone
wouldn't work in them. Everything entering or leaving the site is
totally protected. Quite impratical for the normal home owner.

You might want to read up on the damage that has occured when the
grounds for a tower were encased in the conctrete base that was the
tower mount. They are cases were the lightning "blew" the concrete
base up.

I don't know which original poster you are talking about. My tower is
properly earthed, a direct strike didn't damage my towers or antennas.
The induced voltage that got into my network cables is what caused
most of my damage. The telephone companies have much the same
problem, most of the lightning damage isn't from direct strikes, its
from their wireline pick up of induced voltage of a close strike.

I think you need to quit reading up on it so much, and spend more time
looking at whats practical and proven to work for the CB or ham radio
operator.

Here is a good place to start:

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk