Old February 16th 04, 12:51 AM
Frank Gilliland

In , Lancer
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:04:05 -0800, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

In , Lancer
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:58:03 -0500, w_tom wrote:

A person who so poorly protected his own home as to suffer
completely unnecessary computer and TV damage will now teach
me? One who even posted the classic urban myth about concrete
damage to prove Ufer grounding does not work? You just
realized something: someone on the other side does have a few
decades of experience and engineering degrees. If you had
one, then the concept of resistance and impedance would have
been correctly posted. However someone even did read 'tower
talk' - and posted citations from 'tower talk' in direct
contradiction to your posted myths. Well at least you are not
posting personal attacks this time. The world can get better.

In the meantime this is a discussion about the OPs antenna
mast; not a forum for personal attacks. The OP must earth
his antenna mast both for lightning protection AND as required
by the National Electrical Code. That answers his question.
Please feel free to address the purpose of this thread - the
Original Poster's original request for information -
Zeeeeeeee3 originally posted:

It has several times, which you have chosen to ignore. Use proper
grounds and disconnect his equipment from the antenna and mains.
Your answer is use proper grounds, but don't disconnect any equipment.
Now which one makes more sense? Which one would better protect his
equipment? Which one offers more protection?

Hey Lancer, don't make it too simple. It's all about "impedance", don'cha know?

Couldn't I get a correct impedance match with a 1/4 wave of bus bar?
Now what did he say the frequency of lightning was?

I don't think he did, but if you post an arbitrary value I'm sure he will
provide you with the correct information. I -do- know that lightning is
monitored by listening to the Schumann (sp?) resonance, which is a constantly
changing frequency down around 8 Hz. So let's see, we would need a ground strap
that is resonant over a frequency range of, say, around 1 to 20 Hz..... so how
much money are you willing to spend on this little project? Because the only way
I see of doing this is with a megawatt negative impedance converter!