Old April 5th 04, 08:20 AM
Mark Keith

Cecil Moore wrote in message

I suspect the above antenna is more efficient than your coax-fed dipole.
There's negligible loss in the 50 ft. of ladder-line and negligible loss
in the series caps. No tuner required, therefore no lossy coil. So where's
the loss? Please be specific and provide data to back it up.

I suspect you would be in for a surprise at field day..
What about your balun/choke connection? I assume you will be running
coax to that choke, and then to 50 ft of ladder line? And the variable
cap on the antenna side of the choke...How convenient... All I can say
is why? There is no way on earth that setup is *more* efficient than a
coax fed dipole. It may be *fairly* efficient, maybe even quite so if
you are real lucky, but it's not going to be as good as the full size
dipole fed with good coax. No way. The only real loss I have is the
loss of the feedline "213", and on 80m, it's about as good as ladder
line.
Dunno...I think complicated gimmicky setups that are inferior to the
ultra simple coax fed dipole are kind of silly. :/ But to each his
own. If it were better, I could see it. But it's not. It's inferior.
If it were not, I would be using one here at the house. Why would
anyone want to do more work, for something a step in the wrong
direction? Boggles me mind...I've never seen why people want to use
smaller or compromise antennas when you have the whole wide outdoors
to string up anything you want. The "average" storebought G5RV is
pitiful on 80m compared to the coax fed dipole. Not even a real
contest.
But everyone ignore what I say. I'm really fibbing, and just messing
with ole Cecils head....I suggest all field day op's on 80m use
G5RV's, windoms, isotrons and EH antennas. If you all follow my
advice, I might be able to mop up quick, and be able to go home early
and get some sleep in my cool, bug free, air conditioned bed.. :/ MK