Old April 5th 04, 12:49 PM
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 22:12:24 -0500, "H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H"
wrote:

Tuners squander AT BEST 1 or 2 db.

Nonsense. At 1500 watts, a tuner which "squandered" 1 db would be
dissipating about 300 watts and would soon be a smoking mess.

2 db I don't even want to think about.

--
Bill, W6WRT
QSLs via LoTW

Nonsense huh?
OK
Load up your rig at 1500 watts key down with a tuner.
Measure the tuner's temperature.

Icom specifies the insertion loss for the tuners in my 756PROII and PW1.
Icom claims less than one decibel. (After tuning)
The loss is easy to measure and at 1KW it is indeed well over 100 watts
warming the PW1's innards when it could be radiating away from my SteppIR.
So I leave the tuners out of line and adjust the antenna for SWR = 1:1.
73
H.
NQ5H