Old February 25th 04, 01:45 PM
Andy Cogswell

"Old School" wrote in message
Communist or not, It is a fact that 4-5 watts in to a low drive amp is
not good. I am not saying that was the reason it blew, but you stated
in you message to copper that you was putting this into this amp and
they responded accordingly. Im not sure what brand and model of amp it
was, so I cant say to much on that. When you get an amp, do not drive
it with more than 3 watts unless it is a high drive amp. Even the amps
that say they will take up to 7 watts input are full of crap.

Most radios will put out about half the PEP on SSB. With the CB he
describes, that would be about 6 watts average, peaking up to 12 watts if he
gave a good 'ole boy "YeeHaw! I gots me a new lineear!" into the microphone,
so overdriving is a definately posibility, but for it to blow with a short
burst is really bad.

All though a new amp should not have done this that soon, Copper
should have replaced it at no charge and warned you that the radio
would have to be tuned. Also note: It is against FCC regulations to
use external amplifiers on 11 meters. Not good to admit that to
Copper. They can also use that against you. Even though they know it
can be used there and know it was most likely used there, your self
admittance of this should have been conceiled.

Of course, commercial amplifiers capable of operating 25 - 30mhz with drive
that low out of the box are not legal to sell, so Copper is lucky the FCC
hasn't snatched them up like they have so many other online CB shop.

Personally, I bought an Imax 2000 many years ago from them and it's still on
the roof, working just fine!