Old February 25th 04, 10:09 PM
Frank Gilliland

In , "Kevin Muenzler, WB5RUE"
wrote:

"Dr. Death" wrote in message
snip
Excellent answer! My only addition is (and correct me if I'm wrong)
electrons follow the surface of the wire and stranded wire offers more
surface area than solid wire.

At 11-meter frequencies it doesn't matter if you use stranded or solid
unless you are going hundreds of feet. Stranded coax is a bit more flexible
and forgiving of kinks. When you get into the UHF and microwave frequencies
then you should use coax with a solid center conductor, as Frank said.

Bingo.

Here's a tip that helps me with the cold weather problem of coax that needs
to flex. Use your high quality coax for the long run from your rig to the
base of your antenna, I use LMR-400. Run a short piece of RG-8x from the
base of the rotor to the connection on your antenna. You will need to
replace it every few years but it's cheep and a length of 10 or so feet
isn't going to give you much, if any measurable loss on 11-meters.

Good idea. It also provides a convenient break in the run to install a grounding
block.