Old January 18th 05, 04:03 AM
Brian Goldsmith

"sparky" wrote

I've heard and read a lot of discussion on the "problem" of the
B+ being applied before the tubes can warm up. However, plenty
of tube-type HF rigs came from the factory with solid-state power
supplies: Drake, Swan, Heath, National, Galaxy, et al. Did they
do something to make their gear more tolerant? Just curious.

One of the better receivers ( Racal RA-17) also has a solid
state power supply with no means of delay.

**** OK I'm nitpicking but the Racal RA17 was designed for the British Navy
and was fitted with a GZ34/5AR4 vacuum tube recifier as were a number of
other variants such as the L etc.The model designed specifically for the US
market was the RA17C and its later variants,the RA17C-12 being the most
common.These used solid state power supplies as you wrote,and did not have a
B+ delay fitted.

Any picking of my nit will be appreciated!!! :-)

Brian Goldsmith.