Old April 6th 04, 12:13 PM
JLB

But it is not clear glass, it is tinted.

And, yes, I meant the window mounting not the cellular antenna (I asked that
in a seperate post).

Do you have a Taurus wagon? I was hoping to find someone here who actually
tried a glass mount on a Taurus. [I find it amusing how many people respond
to a post without reading it. Someone actually suggested putting a mag
mount on the trunk!]

Jim
N8EE
"Dave Shrader" wrote in message
JLB wrote:

I have a 2000 model year Ford Taurus wagon, and am thinking about

mounting a
through-glass antenna on one of the back side windows. Yes, I know---a

roof
mount would work better, but I would have to get a hole punch and a

divorce
lawyer to do it ;-)

Does anyone have any practical experience with this set up? Does the

window
tinting cause any problems on 146 MHz or 440 MHz?

Possibly

There is a completely dark (opaque) band around the edge of the window.
Should this be avoided?

YES

I have seen Taurus wagons with cell phone antennas on the back side

windows,
and was wondering how it worked on the ham bands.

Cell phone antennas perform poorly on 2 & 440 grin. I presume you
mean the mounting not the antenna. Through the glass should be fine.

I use a Larsen Through the Glass and there is no noticeable loss of
signal. Theoretically, the loss is about 0.5 to 1.0 dB for clear glass.

Deacon Dave, W1MCE

Jim
N8EE