Old April 6th 04, 08:26 PM
Robert Spooner

Dave,

If the ground and sky waves come in at different angles, you may be able
to rotate and tilt the radio to receive one and null out the other. The
optimum angle may change with the time of day as the ionosphere changes.

73,
Bob AD3K

Cecil Moore wrote:
Dave Pitzer wrote:

Best reception is, of course, at night. But.... for some reason WABC (New
York City) comes in poorly at night even though it's xmitter is only 80
miles away. The signal fades to next to nothing and then increases to
very
loud but extremely distorted then will be loud and clear for a while.

More than likely, you are getting interference between the ground wave
and the sky wave as the strength and path of the sky wave varies with
atmospheric conditions. I don't know of a cure. I sometimes have the
same problem with the same radio tuned to WTAW, 40 miles away.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Robert L. Spooner
Registered Professional Engineer
Associate Research Engineer
Intelligent Control Systems Department

Applied Research Laboratory Phone: (814) 863-4120
The Pennsylvania State University FAX: (814) 863-7841
P. O. Box 30
State College, PA 16804-0030