Old April 7th 04, 02:31 PM
Robert A. Miller

I have a CCRadio and the Select-A-Tenna receiving loop that the same
people sell. The loop works extremely well on weak AM signals, but
only if that frequency is clear of other nearby stations. **If** the
frequency is clear, and there is just the barest signal from the
station you want to hear, the loop will really pull it up and make it
loud.

You can also homebrew these loops, and you might find plans on the
internet somewhere.

You are lucky in that your receiver has an AM antenna terminal, so you
can attach an outside wire. I'd certainly try that -- wouldn't cost
much at all.

Bob
k5qwg

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 04:34:00 GMT, "Dave Pitzer"
wrote:

I have a CC Radio Plus (Sangean) AM/FM/TV/WX radio (from C. Crane Co.) I
enjoy broadcasr band DX'ing and this radion does a super job with just it's
built-in ferrite antenna. I have logged AM BC stations from practically
every state east of the Mississippi.

Best reception is, of course, at night. But.... for some reason WABC (New
York City) comes in poorly at night even though it's xmitter is only 80
miles away. The signal fades to next to nothing and then increases to very
loud but extremely distorted then will be loud and clear for a while.
(During the day this station's signal is fine.) On the same evening,
stations in Georgia (WSB, Atlanta), Illonois (WGN, Chicago), Michigan (WJR,
Detroit), etc., etc. come in fine 90% of the time.

Do I need an external antenna for the closer WABC?????

Thanks,

Dave Pitzer
Pocono Lake, PA