Old April 7th 04, 09:43 PM
JLB

"Meeker" wrote in message
om...
I am new the world of radio waves, but I am trying to find out if I
can buy a device which will tell me how strong the radio waves are
coming from a large antenna? This is assuming that I am standing
within 10 meters.

Yes.

I know that a frequency counter tells me which frequencies are being
transmitted. But what tells me how strong they are? Any idea who sells
them?

It is called a Field Strength Meter. There are two basic types.
Calibrated, which gives you the actual field strength in Volts/Meter or
Watts/SquareMeter, and uncalibrated, which gives you the relative field
strength, relative to where ever you had the knob set the last time. The
uncalibrated kind are good for comparing two antennas or adjusting a single
antenna for maximum signal.

Do a web search for Field Strength Meter and you will be sure to find a
bunch. Google lists 5530 hits.

The calibrated kind are usually quite expensive.

Jim
N8ee