Old April 8th 04, 02:25 AM
Cecil Moore

Mark Keith wrote:
I think it would *still* probably slightly beat your antenna. I'm fairly
certain even your G5RV will not be a complete equal to my coax fed
dipole.

But you, yourself, have admitted that the difference is negligible. It
is indeed around 0.4 dB according to all my calculations. And the reward
is that one gets eight antennas for the price of one, i.e. 8 HF band coverage.
If you were feeding your 75m dipole with ladder-line, I wouldn't have nearly
as strong an argument.

Myself, I think multiband 102 ft dipoles should be fed only with ladder
line...Why are you not using your cut ladder line method for G5RV's?
Enquiring minds wanna know...:/

Because it is so easy to achieve nearly a 50+j0 ohm feedpoint impedance at
the series section to coax junction. It is actually relatively difficult
to achieve nearly a 50+j0 ohm impedance using my variable length ladder-
line scheme at the operating position with a 102 foot dipole. But it is
easy with a 130 foot dipole. I simply got tired of the bad rap you and
others were giving G5RVs and chopped my 130 foot dipole to 102 feet. Now
you have to suffer the consequences. :-) What I am trying to demonstrate
is how series matching section transformers work not just at 1/4WL and
1/2WL but at many other lengths.

Why would someone prefer a G5RV over
your normal 80m size all band ladder line fed antenna for FD on 80m?
Enquiring minds wanna know that too...:}

Many hams cannot string a 130 foot dipole but can manage a 102 foot dipole.
I've pushed the 130 foot dipole for years. Now I'm pushing the 102 foot
dipole. Sorry if that is politically incorrect. I simply cannot stand by
and allow new old wives' tales to take over ham radio.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP