Old March 29th 04, 06:01 AM
David 01

I would highly recommend CodeQuick. I learned Morse Code the "old" way the
first time in 1973, quit using it and completely forgot in matter of days it
seems. Bought CodeQuick and got up to 20 plus in 1993 and didn't fool with
code anymore until 2002. To my utter surprise, what I had learned with
CodeQuick was still there. I still was at 20 plus after about 30 minutes of
refreshing.

It's a most amazing system.

"Doug Birky" wrote in message
I agree totally. I am really looking foreword to getting my general. I
don't mind the work of learning CW. I have both the G4FON and CodeQuick.

highly recommend the G4FON. I do use the CodeQuick if I find myself

getting
stuck or mixing up close or opposite sounds. I think that code should be
required for the HF licenses. At 5WPM the people that really want it will
work for it. If the ARRL does get the license changed so no-code gets

some
HF privileges, so be it. As long as folks stay where they belong in the
band, things should still go ok. Its those select few that can screw it

up.
If you don't want to learn code, fine. But stay where you belong. As for

me,
it will be fun to know the code. I have a nephew that is wanting to learn

it
is well. He is currently studying for his tech license and will be

joining
me soon after that when he learns the code as well. This is a fun hobby.
Its great to meet the people, talk to the older folks who started this

out,
and talk to others just getting into it as I am. Please don't wreck it

for
us newbies.
73
Doug / KC8YEC

Dee D. Flint wrote in message
gy.com...

"Old School" wrote in message
I applaud you for wanting to do it the old school way. Nothing wrong
with that. I want to as well, but time doesnt allow that for me unless
I get time soon.

Odds are it will take the FCC about 2 years to make any changes (if they
make any changes). If you practice 30 minutes per day using the free

G4FON
software, you should be ready to take the code test in about 2 months.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE