Old March 30th 04, 06:23 PM
Dave Hall

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:48:06 GMT, Lancer wrote:

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 01:07:55 GMT, "Rob" wrote:

I installed a CB in my Jeep Rubicon for use when my buddies and I go trail
riding. I mounted a *ahem* 48" Radio Shack fiberglass whip on a right angle
antenna mount directly to the rear bumper. I ran a 20' Radio Shack 50 ohm
cable from the antenna to the transmitter mounted under the seat (Cobra 75
WX ST).
Power is supplied by a 4 ga. wire directly from the battery. I scraped off
paint under one of the seat mounting brackets and bolted the wire to that to
get a good ground.

The problem I'm having is calibrating the SWR meter. When key and hold down
the mic, I turn the meter's calibration knob all the way to the right and
the needle is still short of the calibration mark.

Rob Kulp

First check what Frank and Dave suggested, then try this:

(hopefully your antenna is one of Radio Shacks adjustable ones)

1. Find out which channel gives you the lowest forward calibration
reading (1 or 40)

2. Note that reading

3. flip the switch to check the reverse reading.

4. Note that reading.

5. Change to the channel that gave you the highest forward calibration
reading.

6. Adjust the reading to same level as step 2.

7. flip the switch to check the reverse reading.

8. This will give you a "relative" SWR reading.

9. Depending on which channel gave you the lowest "relative" reading:
If your lowest reading was on channel 1, your antenna is too long.
If your lowest reading was on channel 40, your antenna is
too short.

Adjust your antenna.

And if this works as described, when you are done, take your radio to
a local tech to determine why your power out is so low....

Dave
"Sandbagger"
http://home.ptd.net/~n3cvj