Old April 9th 04, 09:06 PM
Frank Gilliland

In , "oldgoat"
wrote:

Guys I want to mount a 4ft fiberglass unit on the mirror bracket of my F150.
Will a grounding strap work as well as if I mounted it directly to the metal
body. any issues you know of that i should consider

There are three common issues with a mirror-mount. First, some mirror brackets
are mounted with a rubber gasket seperating it from the door. That gasket must
be removed or bypassed. (I recently heard the suggestion to use soft lead sheet
for a mirror bracket gasket -- can't say if it works or not but it sounds like
an interesting idea). The second problem is the door-to-chassis ground
connection, which should be a flexible grounding strap because the hinges are
usually greased and don't make a very good RF connection. The third issue is
with the coax. It must be mounted so it doesn't get bent, pinched, scraped, or
fatigued by repeated use of the door. When you figure out that last one, let the
rest of us know how you did it, eh?