Old April 9th 04, 09:44 PM
N2EY

(Lee Carkenord) wrote in message . com...
The following is some of the info I gathered in my attempts to
understand and build a Lattin. As I said in my previous post, I was
never able to get it to work as Mr. Lattin described. I wish that
when I tried to build it, I would of had access to todays "Antenna
Analyzer" test instruments.

It has been patented, filed Feb 13, 1948. Patent # 2,535,298 My
local library had the patent on microfiche, and I was able to get it
copied. I have a copy of his patent, with illustrations/drawings, on
file here.

Lattin described this antenna in QST in December of 1960.

July 1960 issue of "CQ" mag has a related antenna project, by
Richmond, W1CEJ, called "A Portable Dipole"

Vincent Lear, G3TKN has also worked with the Lattin design, and was
published in RSGB.

July 1992 issue of "73" mag has another article "Six-band linear trap
antenna" by Brumbaugh KB4ZGC..........using approx the same idea.

September 1986 issue of "73" mag has Lattin type antenna project
described...."The Texas Tango Antenna" by Garrett K5BTV.

See also:

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/search...D=7496&ID=7496

Maybe the above info will stimulate some more experimentation and/or
modelling of the
Lattin. I sure hope so.

It seems to me that there are two major issues with the Lattin/W4JRW
antenna:

1) Mechanically, it can be challenging. Regular Twin Lead with one of
the wires cut is just too flimsy. If you use spreaders and such it's
not simple any more. What's really needed is for somebody to make
"tubular" Twin Lead with, say #16 or even #14 copperweld conductors.

2) The velocity factor of the Twin Lead is a challenge to model
because the stub sections radiate on some frequencies but not others.

The thing is really just another form of trap antenna.

I get the feeling that Lattin either went through serious math pushups
to get his design, or cut up a lot of Twin Lead, or both.

73 de Jim, N2EY