Old April 14th 04, 09:48 PM
Colin Howarth

Default Antenna mounting / grounding / lightning protection

Hi there,

when I had a satellite dish put up on the roof I had the guys also put
up a CB antenna (Hurricane 27).
It's connected to the same support as the dish via an L piece of tubing
in such a way that the base of the antenna is slightly off to the side
of the dish, a bit like this:

O '

The SWR is miserable (like 3 or 4 or something - it's been a while
since I played with this).

Now, I once read that incorrect grounding (i.e. none) would be one
possible explanation. These
electricians claim that they did ground the antenna. However, since I
get the occasional shock when fiddling with the satellite cables I
suspect that this may indeed be the problem ;-)

Question is, does this setup have any chance of working ok?

I also ummm, had them place the dish/antenna at the highest point on
the roof (about 10 m above
ground level). Any thoughts on lightning protection? I've been getting
conflicting advice.

Thanks,

colin