Old April 9th 04, 11:32 PM
JGBOYLES

Does anyone know of a source of 35-ohm coax?

Parallel 2 pieces of 75 ohm coax.

I want to make a 1/4 wave impedance matching line for an 80 meter
camping antenna.

I use a 100' roll of #18 stranded wire for my 80M camping/portable dipole. I
feed it various ways.
One way I have been looking at that doesn't require a tuner: Get the 100'
dipole about 30'-40' up. (This is for 3.8 MHZ.) Feed it in the center with
39' of your favorite 300 ohm TV twinlead. At the far end of the twinlead,
short the conductors. 3' from the shorted end, attach your 50 ohm coax (thru a
balun of course).
I haven't tried this, but I will, and I am sure I am not the first to dream
this up. Modelling says this should provide a 1:1 match at the design
frequency. If you use 450 ohm line, it takes about 30', but 450 ohm line is
bulkier.

73 Gary N4AST