Old April 10th 04, 04:20 AM
Mark Keith

Cecil Moore wrote in message ...
Mark Keith wrote:
But to each his own I guess... MK

I prefer experimenting to operating.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Oh, so do I. I like the antenna and rig setups, but I actually don't
like the operating part of it. I pretty much just sat around last
year, and let the rest of them have at it. I didn't do much as I felt
unusually lazy for some reason. :/ One reason was they switched to a
puter logging, keying, rig control, and all that mess, and I'd never
used it before. Was clumsy as heck to me...I think I almost prefer
doing it all manual...I've never liked contest type operating. To me ,
it's work. My idea of a better field day is sitting in a lounge chair
on one of the hill country rivers, in front of a smoker, maybe sipping
a cool one, "I only drink under the clinical supervision of a doctor",
doing pretty much nothing at all....Maybe a casual redneck yik-yak qso
every hour or so...:/ That fast contest type stuff gives me brain
damage after a while. But it's hard for me to avoid being drafted, as
I work CW fairly swiftly, and can rack up the points if I feel so
inclined...Thats why I never work fone. It's not viable pointwise when
I get half the points for fone, but work either about the same overall
speed...But, I usually feel inclined to relax...A friend of mine who
is also a CW op, N5XZ, he tears it up. Usually makes the most points
every year I think. But he likes that type of operating more than I
do. He'll stick in there a long time, where I'll usually flake out
after 2-3 hours on a good year.. MK