Old April 10th 04, 04:15 PM
Bob

Hi Steven

Thank you for your response to my problem.

Any suggestion? What you say is that I would be better off without that 1:1
balun? Yes, now I have it at 66feet each leg for a total of 132 feet but now
it is not at the best height but kinda sagging and lopping where it is but
off the ground and about 2 feet above the roof and other obstacles. I also
have it presently close to steel guy wires and the tower itself. What would
be my problem then here now? You believe it is my balun? I was hoping to get
this up there and then leave it. All this climbing is difficult. Do you
believe that once I get it up there, with the coax, with the dipole, no
balun, do you think that would allow me better results with a good antenna
tuner? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
BOb

" Stephen Cowell" wrote in message
m...

"Bob" wrote in message
Hi
We have put together a dipole, each leg is 66 feet. We put a 1:1 balun

and
it is running about 60 feet of 50 ohm coax. Presently it is about half

way
up the tower it is intended for so we could check the SWR before getting

it
up to the highest point. Presently each leg has some lags and dips, no

major
bends but it is just hanging there, over some bushes and the entire

thing
is
over top of the house, and not touching anything but is very close to

some
steel guy wires (uninsulated).
Now we can only tune this down to a useable SWR on the 80m band. On all
other bands we cannot tune it down to a safe operating range. We are

using
good antenna tuner but cannot get anything useable except for 80m. Here

we
are able to tune the SWR right down.

Questions???
Would we be better without that balun?

If you want multi-band operation, then yes, you have to
forget the balun, or put multiple dipoles on the output lugs.
__
Steve
KI5YG
.